INTERVIEW MONSTRE - CINDY LAWSON "Some of my favorite memories are walking around Paris by myself in the early 2000’s"
Today, we’re delighted to welcome Cindy Lawson, a true pioneer of the Minneapolis rock scene. She began her musical journey in 1985 with the all-female band The Clams and went on to play in several bands in Minneapolis and New York. After a long break from music, Cindy made a powerful comeback in 2021, bringing together classic rock ’n’ roll, garage rock and punk energy with her distinctive voice and sharp songwriting. Nearly four decades into her career, Cindy Lawson is still making bold, passionate and exciting music.
Taste question: Which artists have influenced you the most, and what examples can you tell us about this influence? Who is the artist you dislike and why will he/she never influence you?
I have always loved Joni Mitchell, Nina Simone, and Rickie Lee Jones because they created their own sound and didn’t compromise their vision. Joni Mitchell developed her own style of playing guitar because she had to compensate for the weakness in her left hand from a childhood bout with polio. Nina Simone combined her love of classical music with her own original interpretations and thus created a never before heard style. I’ve loved Rickie Lee Jones since I heard her first record when I was in my teens and have seen her live and love her ability to be powerful onstage and lead her musicians to musical and emotional heights.
Obviously, I’m not a fan of AI created music and people who pass off these horrid compositions as their own.
Intellectual question: Which non-musical artist (filmmaker, writer, painter...) played an important role in the way you evolved…
I love Hannah Höch and her artistry. She was a singular talent who was just as integral to the Dada movement as the male artists but was never fully accepted because of her sex. She was especially critical of the Nazi rise in Germany and went into hiding during the Third Reich. Höch’s works were photomontages that often portrayed androgynous figures, which was completely forbidden during Hitler’s time.
History question: Can you sum up the life of your career?
I feel fortunate to have lived this long. I’ll be 65 this fall and have outlived many friends and loved ones. I truly believe that my job right now is to speak truth to what is happening in the US and rise up against this administration’s fascist regime that is trying to erase people of color, the lgbtq community, and other marginalized groups.
Selfish question: Why did you prefer a solo career than being in a band?
I’ve actually worked with the same guitar player, Jerry Lefkowitz, that I’ve played with in the 90’s in my band Whoops Kitty and find that his contributions have lifted up songs that we’ve written.
Buddy question: Who has helped you most in your adventure and without whom you wouldn't have had the same evolution?
My guitar player, Jerry Lefkowitz. Jerry is an incredibly creative and inventive guitarist whose vast experience and sheer ingenuity never fails to add that extra slice of weirdness to my songs.
Spinal Tap question: What's the most stupid thing that's ever happened to you?
I had played a show to a small group of people in a bar and after the show was loading my gear out. A guy, who was very drunk, asked me if I was in the band. When I answered yes, he loudly proclaimed “YOU GUYS SUCKED!”. I laughed in his face.
Question Happy Few: What's the biggest benefit you've derived from your career, and can you tell us about it?
Making all kinds of friends and making cool music with all kinds of friends. The touring we do is especially exciting because no matter how it goes, you still end up meeting interesting people.
Art question: What book, film, record and current band do you really like?
I’m reading ‘One Day Everyone Will Have Always Been Against This’ by Omar El Akkad, and my favorite streaming channel to watch is MHz. My favorite band right now is Toilet Rats, the brainchild of my brilliant friend Tommy Rehbein and my favorite song (it’s actually from 2023) is Clap Back. It should be a worldwide hit, in my opinion. Another favorite is the exquisite Midwest American Youth or M.A.Y., who is hands down the most explosive and beautiful artist I know.
Funny question. What's the funniest thing that's ever happened to you?
I had been practicing in a band with Sara Lee (from Gang of Four) in NYC. She was also playing with the B52s and they were playing an Earth Day concert in Central Park in 1990. There were an estimated 750K people there and because I was with Sara, I got to go in the limo with her into the park. I was backstage and saw all the stars close-up-I distinctly remember seeing Paulina Porizkova in person and was amazed at how beautiful (and tall!) she was. But then I did a boneheaded thing and left the backstage area to use a porta potty not realizing I had no backstage pass. Of course, I wasn’t allowed back in and me and my closest 749,999 friends sat and watched the concert from in front of the stage.
Camembert question: What's France to you, apart from the land of wine and cheese?
Some of my favorite memories are walking around Paris by myself in the early 2000’s. I had gotten divorced and was visiting friends in Rotterdam. They suggested a solo sojourn to Paris and it was the best remedy for sadness.
Sponsorship question: Who can you sponsor for Les Monstres Sacrés, and how can you convince us to talk about them?
You should talk about Toilet Rats AND Midwest American Youth! Exceptional artists, each in their own way!
Patriotic question: Make the list (between 5 & 10) of the top records made par artists of our country.
Edith Piaf - Non, je ne regrette rien and La Vie en rose
Les Wampas - Manu Chao
Rita Mitsouko - C'est comme ça
Les Lou’s - Don’t You Want My Love
Radical Kitten - Uppercat
Patriotic question 2 : Make the list (between 5 & 10) of the top records made by artists of your country.
Court and Spark - Joni Mitchell
Pirates - Rickie Lee Jones
Nina Simone in Concert - Nina Simone
Rock and Roll Animal - Lou Reed
Aretha’s Gold - Aretha Franklin
(Granted, numbers 3 and 4 are live albums, and number 5 is a greatest-hits album)
I have always loved Joni Mitchell, Nina Simone, and Rickie Lee Jones because they created their own sound and didn’t compromise their vision. Joni Mitchell developed her own style of playing guitar because she had to compensate for the weakness in her left hand from a childhood bout with polio. Nina Simone combined her love of classical music with her own original interpretations and thus created a never before heard style. I’ve loved Rickie Lee Jones since I heard her first record when I was in my teens and have seen her live and love her ability to be powerful onstage and lead her musicians to musical and emotional heights.
Obviously, I’m not a fan of AI created music and people who pass off these horrid compositions as their own.
Intellectual question: Which non-musical artist (filmmaker, writer, painter...) played an important role in the way you evolved…
I love Hannah Höch and her artistry. She was a singular talent who was just as integral to the Dada movement as the male artists but was never fully accepted because of her sex. She was especially critical of the Nazi rise in Germany and went into hiding during the Third Reich. Höch’s works were photomontages that often portrayed androgynous figures, which was completely forbidden during Hitler’s time.
History question: Can you sum up the life of your career?
I feel fortunate to have lived this long. I’ll be 65 this fall and have outlived many friends and loved ones. I truly believe that my job right now is to speak truth to what is happening in the US and rise up against this administration’s fascist regime that is trying to erase people of color, the lgbtq community, and other marginalized groups.
Selfish question: Why did you prefer a solo career than being in a band?
I’ve actually worked with the same guitar player, Jerry Lefkowitz, that I’ve played with in the 90’s in my band Whoops Kitty and find that his contributions have lifted up songs that we’ve written.
Buddy question: Who has helped you most in your adventure and without whom you wouldn't have had the same evolution?
My guitar player, Jerry Lefkowitz. Jerry is an incredibly creative and inventive guitarist whose vast experience and sheer ingenuity never fails to add that extra slice of weirdness to my songs.
Spinal Tap question: What's the most stupid thing that's ever happened to you?
I had played a show to a small group of people in a bar and after the show was loading my gear out. A guy, who was very drunk, asked me if I was in the band. When I answered yes, he loudly proclaimed “YOU GUYS SUCKED!”. I laughed in his face.
Question Happy Few: What's the biggest benefit you've derived from your career, and can you tell us about it?
Making all kinds of friends and making cool music with all kinds of friends. The touring we do is especially exciting because no matter how it goes, you still end up meeting interesting people.
Art question: What book, film, record and current band do you really like?
I’m reading ‘One Day Everyone Will Have Always Been Against This’ by Omar El Akkad, and my favorite streaming channel to watch is MHz. My favorite band right now is Toilet Rats, the brainchild of my brilliant friend Tommy Rehbein and my favorite song (it’s actually from 2023) is Clap Back. It should be a worldwide hit, in my opinion. Another favorite is the exquisite Midwest American Youth or M.A.Y., who is hands down the most explosive and beautiful artist I know.
Funny question. What's the funniest thing that's ever happened to you?
I had been practicing in a band with Sara Lee (from Gang of Four) in NYC. She was also playing with the B52s and they were playing an Earth Day concert in Central Park in 1990. There were an estimated 750K people there and because I was with Sara, I got to go in the limo with her into the park. I was backstage and saw all the stars close-up-I distinctly remember seeing Paulina Porizkova in person and was amazed at how beautiful (and tall!) she was. But then I did a boneheaded thing and left the backstage area to use a porta potty not realizing I had no backstage pass. Of course, I wasn’t allowed back in and me and my closest 749,999 friends sat and watched the concert from in front of the stage.
Camembert question: What's France to you, apart from the land of wine and cheese?
Some of my favorite memories are walking around Paris by myself in the early 2000’s. I had gotten divorced and was visiting friends in Rotterdam. They suggested a solo sojourn to Paris and it was the best remedy for sadness.
Sponsorship question: Who can you sponsor for Les Monstres Sacrés, and how can you convince us to talk about them?
You should talk about Toilet Rats AND Midwest American Youth! Exceptional artists, each in their own way!
Patriotic question: Make the list (between 5 & 10) of the top records made par artists of our country.
Edith Piaf - Non, je ne regrette rien and La Vie en rose
Les Wampas - Manu Chao
Rita Mitsouko - C'est comme ça
Les Lou’s - Don’t You Want My Love
Radical Kitten - Uppercat
Patriotic question 2 : Make the list (between 5 & 10) of the top records made by artists of your country.
Court and Spark - Joni Mitchell
Pirates - Rickie Lee Jones
Nina Simone in Concert - Nina Simone
Rock and Roll Animal - Lou Reed
Aretha’s Gold - Aretha Franklin
(Granted, numbers 3 and 4 are live albums, and number 5 is a greatest-hits album)
Thank you Cindy & Jean-Jacques





Commentaires
Enregistrer un commentaire