THE AMPLIFIER HEADS : "Barrence Whitfield was the first and only musician I thought of for singing the title track and he delivered it!!!"

Have you heard the track the Amplifier Heads recorded with Barrence Whitfield? That track alone made us want to contact them, and Sal Balgio was kind enough to give us some of his time.

The Amplifier Heads

Let's start by talking about the beginning of your career. You're lucky enough to hail from Boston, a city legendary for its rock scene.
Can you tell us about your musical adolescence and the life as a rock-loving young man in Boston in the 60s and 70s?

There was always music. My father was a musician and taught me my first chords. My grandfather on my mother’s side was a bandleader and vaudeville song and dance man.
My older brother also played in bands in the 1960’s so I had all of that before seeing The Beatles on Ed Sullivan!!
I grew up in East Boston and after February 1964 it seemed that every cellar had a band of dreamers making noise.

Were the STOMPERS your first band?

The Stompers were not my first band but certainly my first known band! I started The Stompers in my late teens in 1977

Can you tell us a bit about their history and the best moments you experienced with them?

By 1977 the Boston Music scene had exploded. It began a few years prior but was in full swing by 1977. The Stompers were one of many bands that played the local clubs, colleges and landed our first record contract with Boardwalk Records in 1983. Later we were signed to Mercury/Polygram

It must have been great to share the bill with the Beach Boys and J Geils Band, do you have any special memories?

We supported many bands. J. Geils Band were a great match and wonderful hosts. Being a fan of The Beach Boys of course made those shows surreal especially when Carl Wilson asked me to sing on the encore with them. A true rock n roll fantasy come true!

When the band split up, did you stop playing music?

I have never stopped making music. The Stompers stopped recording in the late 80’s and remained a live act. I continued to write and record. My first solo recording was released in 2000.

Sal Balgio

Then you came back with Rock E. Rollins, can you tell us a bit more about this project?

Rock E. Rollins was a character from a story and rock opera I wrote called Rock & Roll Stigmata. Seeing as my name was synonymous with The Stompers, I released my first solo record under that name. The record was engineered and mixed by the late great Ducky Carlisle who would work on Amplifier Heads records. Also appearing on the Rock E. record were Marty Richards drums & Brad Hallen on bass. Both play live with current Amplifier Heads and appear on a number of AmpHeads recordings.

What did you do between this project and the creation of the Amplifier Heads?

I continued to write and record.

Tell us how the Amplifier Heads came about.

The name of the band comes from my song The Boy With The Amplifier Head which is on the first AmpHeads record LOUDAH. That record was made from sessions at Ducky Carlisle’s studio and was pretty much just he and I. Ducky on drums and I played everything else. That is where and when the idea came to start a new “band”.

How would you describe the Amplifier Heads' style, and what themes are closest to your heart? You often change styles, which do you like best?

The Amplifier Heads are many things all under the name of Rock & Roll. My paint box is The White Album. You hear everything on that record. Rock songs, beautiful ballads, experimental noise, acoustic, electric madness. I go wherever and with whatever I hear. Whatever comes thru when my antenna is up!

The creation of the band corresponds roughly to the time when the covid crisis was at its peak. How did you record at that time? Were you afraid you wouldn't be able to make music in the future?

When I first heard that we were going “shut down” for two weeks because of covid, I decided I would try and write a song a day and record in my basement studio.


Two weeks turned into almost two years! All of my shows were canceled including shows in the UK. Drag. I did however make a full length record titles Music For Abandoned Amusement Parks released in 2020. I also recorded several Eps as well as a very cool pop record self titled The Peppermint Kicks with Dan Kopko [The Shang Hi Los/Watts]. I also met Norty Cohen at that time and began the project that became They Came To Rock.

Could you tell us what you think are the differences between the different Amplifier Heads albums, what are your favorite tracks and why?

I think they are all pretty much what I call rock & roll records. There are drums, guitars, a melody and good beat!! I would say that the one record that is most different would be Music For Abandoned Amusement Parks. Its mood and themes are of a different feel.

Last year saw the release of Butcher, Baglio & Estes - Gypsy Caravan, so tell us more about this band.

The three of us are longtime friends from very different musical backgrounds. We thought it would be interesting to make a record together different than what each of do on our own. It was a wonderful experience making that record and performing live with Jon and Allen.

The Amplifier Heads release tracks with different singers, can you tell us more about these particular tracks and particularly about your collaboration with Barrence Whitfield?

Songs From They Came To Rock is a soundtrack record that I was commissioned to write and produce for by Norty Cohen. As the record went into production I began thinking that it would be interesting to have other voices represent and interpret these songs. Although the record is released under The Amplifier Heads, it is quite different than any of my previous records.


Barrence Whitfield was the first and only musician I thought of for singing the title track and he delivered it!!! We had so much fun working together that we are now out doing shows together as Barrence Whitfield & Sal Baglio’s Giant Rocket Roll Show featuring The Amplifier Heads

What does France mean to you? Are you planning to tour there, and do you know the music?

We would LOVE to play France. I find European countries are so wonderfully open and fanatical about their music. Especially rock & roll.

What are your next projects?

I have been working on another AmpHeads record for 2025. Dan Kopko and I are talking about a new Peppermint Kicks record.
Norty Cohen is busy working on getting They Came To Rock produced as a musical. I am currently & thankfully busy with Summer live shows.

Thank you Sal


Sal & Barrence

Barrence Whitfield & Sal Baglio’s Giant Rocket Roll Show


Commentaires


https://fishandcheaprecords.bandcamp.com/