GRAPHIC WORLD - SID VICIOUS BY PETER TILL

En 1979, le Melody Maker a publié un hommage à Sid Vicious qui venait de décéder. Voici le dessin de Peter Till qui accompagnait ce texte. Nous avons eu envie d'en connaitre l'histoire. Merci à Peter d'avoir accepter de répondre à nos questions.


Peter, when I discovered this drawing in Melody Maker, I was impressed by its power. 
Was this commissioned by Melody Maker? Did you have the freedom to draw whatever you wanted?

I can’t remember. If it was in Melody Maker then I suppose they must have commissioned it. They certainly didn’t try to influence me or tell me what to draw.

It's both shocking and revealing of how Sid Vicious felt at the time. He had no respect for anything and it seems that you didn't want to respect the idea of a tribute either. The drawing was as punk as its subject. What was your message?


Thank you for your appreciation of the image. I was thinking about the punk dance, the pogo. The syringe is essentially a pogo stick!

How did you achieve this? Were you inspired by photos?

I’m sure I took a likeness of Sid’s face from a photograph. But I detect the influence of Goya!

Photo retrouvée par Fernand Naudin

Did you need a lot of time to make it?


At that period I didn’t need a lot of time to complete anything!

Do you still have any sketches or drafts?

I don’t have any sketches or drafts


When you proposed it, what were the reactions?

I drew it without showing a rough and (happily) they printed it.

Have you drawn other pictures of punk music personalities?

I’m sure I have drawn other punk personalities but I have no concrete evidence!


How did you come to publish one (or more?) drawings in Melody Maker? How long did you draw for them?

I honestly can’t remember how many drawings I made for Melody Maker but I think Richard Williams (editor's note - responsible for Melody Maker at the time) was instrumental in commissioning me.

Thank you Peter
(interview made in june 2023)

Commentaires