INTERVIEW MONSTRE - THE OXYS

What is a Monster interview? Unlike the lengthy interviews we sometimes offer, it's limited to a few questions. From week to week, you'll find different recurring themes. It's up to you to choose your favorite questions, or to read the whole thing.

Have fun with Ginchy of The OXYS !


Taste question: Which artists have influenced you the most, and what can you tell us exemples about this influence? Who is the artist you dislike and why will he/she never influence you?



Johnny Thunders (Heartbreakers/NY Dolls), Sylvain Sylvain (NY Dolls), Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Keith Richards, Angus & Malcolm Young (AC/DC ), Cheetah Chrome and Jimmy Zero (Dead Boys),Rick Sims (Didjits/Gaza Strippers), Ace Frehley (KISS), Nicke Andersson (Hellacopters). These are a couple of my biggest influences. Most of them heavily influenced my guitar playing or songwriting and others simply for the fact it sparked my love for rock n' roll.


Intellectual question: Which 'non-musical artist played an important role in the way the band evolved...


I don't know that I can cite any non-musical artists that play a role in the evolution of the band. However, all the artwork for The Oxys is done by Alex Hagen, who also happens to be the singer in a band called Ravagers. His work has definitely been very inspirational to the band.

History question: Can you sum up the life of your group?

The Oxys is a very new band. Phil and I spent a year writing songs before we premiered the band. We played our first show in October of 2022. So far, it has been an extremely fast ride and I hope it does not slow down anytime soon. We have switched a few members for various reasons, but we have a solidified lineup and everyone plays a vital role in the band. We are currently working on our third album, "Casting Pearls Before Swine". It should be out in 2024.

Champollion question: What is the meaning of the band's name?

The Oxys are a slang term for pharmaceutical grade drugs. In America, we have a huge problem with people abusing them. Honestly, it's the best name we could come up with at the time. Our intention was not to glorify the use of these drugs.



Buddy question: Who has helped you most in your band's adventure and without whom you wouldn't have had the same evolution?

Besides myself, Holly (guitarist) and Phil (singer), have been instrumental in getting the band to where it is at now. The three of us pretty much take on every task. Alberto at El Beasto was instrumental in getting us to Spain and we can't thank him enough for the opportunity.

Spinal Tap question: What's the most stupid thing that's ever happened to you?

In 2016, after returning home from a tour in Japan with Sylvain Sylvain, I returned to the United States and was very ill. I went to the hospital and stayed there for 10 days where the doctor's thought I was going to die. Luckily due to the miracles of modern medicine, I am still alive. In addition to that being a very traumatic incident, I would also deem it "stupid".

Question Happy Few: What's the biggest benefit you've derived from your band, and can you tell us about it?

The biggest benefit I have derived from my band is that I have an outlet for my music. Without the band, I would probably become depressed very quickly. Music is one of the biggest joys of my life. I love writing and performing music more than anything else.

Art question: What book, film, record and current band made you flash?

To be quite honest, I rarely watch new films or listen to "new records". I'm constantly digging in the vault for art, film, and music that is decades old. The contemporary stuff doesn't do much for me. However, there are several new bands that I do listen to. My favorite film is probably American Psycho. I can watch it over and over.

Funny question. What's the funniest thing that's ever happened to you?

Every time I leave for a tour, my cat gets angry and goes to the bathroom in my bed on my pillow. Pretty punk rock if you ask me.

Camembert question: What's France to you, apart from the land of wine and cheese? 

I personally love wine and cheese, so that's my go to in France. I have played there on a few occasions. Seems to me the French are fixated on The Beatles. They also seem to think I'm just another "stupid American". Of course I love the language! If you got some recommendations on French music, feel free to send them over. Please do not send any Captaine Roshi.

Sponsorship question: Who can you sponsor for Les Monstres Sacrés, and how can you convince us to talk about them? 

Killer Kin is coming to Spain in May. Killer band and definitely worth covering. El Beasto is bringing them over from the U.S.

Question Monstres Sacrés : Who is a sacred monster for you ?

Anyone in the American governement.


Thanks you Ginchy !






Commentaires